How to find the Tranquil Otter
Getting to the Otter from the South or East:
- Leave M6 @ junction 43 and take the first exit A69 to Carlisle, passing a Land Rover dealership on your left and Tesco on your right.
- Go straight for about a mile and take the first right (Victoria Place) at traffic lights soon after "The Beehive" pub (left hand side). The road is signed A595 West and is just after some car-parking signs but the sign is easy to miss! Follow the road around a left hand bend and at the lights turn right (Georgian Way) taking the left hand lane on a short stretch of dual carriage way.
- At Hardwick Circus roundabout (you will see DFS, a Wickes and a Shell Garage on your right) bear left which will take you on to Castle Way, a dual carriage way passing the castle on your right and city centre on your left. Get into the right hand lane.
- Keep straight through the next two sets of traffic lights, passing Sainsbury's on your right. Get into the right hand lane approaching the roundabout and bear right along the B5307, signposted for the Cumberland Infirmary.
- Follow this road for about 2 miles until you reach Moorhouse Road roundabout. Take the third exit signposted B5307 for Kirkbride.
- Approximately 3 miles after this roundabout you will pass through Moorhouse Village.
- About ½ mile after Moorhouse you will see a large barn on your right next to a sign for Bramblebeck Cottage, a little further you’ll see a sign for Bramblebeck Park on the left and the road curves to the right. The “Thurstonfield” village sign is in this bend indicate left after you pass the village sign.
- We are the first drive you come to on the left, discreetly signed "The The Tranquil Otter", with white stones up the side. This is about 50 metres before the 30 mph speed limit sign going into Thurstonfield village.
- Go straight up the lane, ignoring the right hand fork and park at the top of the lane. Please note there are two speed control bumps before you get to the notice board on your right. Press the white bell to let us know that you have arrived.
- The main telephone number is 01228 576661. Please note that we are located in an area with poor mobile reception.
Getting to the Otter from the North:
- Exit the M6 at junction 44 and take the exit marked A689, signposted Workington and A595. This route is via a bypass that has not yet made it the SatNav.
- You will cross the river Eden after which you arrive at the “Burgh Road” roundabout, take the second exit arriving shortly afterwards at next “Moorhouse Road” roundabout, here take the fourth exit for Kirkbride B5307.
- From here join the directions "from the South and East" at point 6.
Getting to the Otter from the West
You will find us on B5307 on the Carlisle side of Thurstonfield Village. We are the last drive on the right as you leave the village and head for Carlisle.
If you are coming by train to Carlisle try Barry's Taxi 07766 700020.