Spring at The Tranquil Otter
Spring is on its way. I have chosen my top five ways to enjoy the outdoors. Cumbria is one of the most beautiful and unpolluted parts of the UK.
- Top of the list has to be the night sky. I feel when I look to the sky on a clear night – that there are so many stars. So take your seat in the hottub, turn off the lights and lift your eyes to the skies.
- Woodland Walk listening to birdsong. Mature woodlands surround The Lough at the Tranquil Otter. Take a walk any time of the day and listen to the birds starting their springtime chatter. See if you can spot the difference between a territorial spat or a mating call?
- Enjoy the Forest. Choose your Forest, and choose your pace. Whinlatter is the only mountain Forest in the UK. Walk, run, cycle, Segway or Go Ape. All of these are available at Whinlatter Forest.
- Swim in the lakes. Join the revival in outdoor swimming, from dipping your toes in the lake water to going the whole hog. Learn more here.
- Picnic as part of your walk, swim or as an end in itself. There are so many beautiful places to choose from. Learn more here.
Latrigg Fell near Keswick
Looking for an easy family walk with outstanding views? You’ll climb 120 metres and the views over Keswick are outstanding and well worth the climb.
Parking is near Keswick Pools and you can approach the Fell from Spoonygreen Lane, an easy circular route up and around the summit.
We recommend that you take Ordnance Survey Explorer OL4 for this walk. Details of the walk can also be found on the Lake District National Park’s website, under “Miles without Stiles” here.
Find out more about Latrigg Fell here.
A gorgeous park, hugging the banks of the River Eden, with an abundant variety of trees and wildlife. Enjoy a tranquil walk, sit and reflect by the riverbank or take a picnic on one of the benches. One of our favourite green spaces in Carlisle, learn more here.
Rickerby Retreat & Assembly Restaurant
Enjoy Rickerby Park from the rooftop terrace of the Assembly Restuarant. An elegant space, serving quality food with a modern twist and fine wine. It’s best to book. If you want to make a day of it, book yourself in for a spa treatment onsite. We advise booking ahead.