Walk like a Roman, talk like a RomanCatherine Jarvis, also known as “Hadriana”, is a qualified Latin ‘Minimus’ teacher and tourist guide at the Roman sites along Hadrian’s Wall. Catherine and her family live very near the Birdoswald Roman Fort, Vindolanda Fort and The Roman Army Museum. Using the nearby Roman remains Catherine brings to life the well known “Minimus” Latin Course and the Cambridge Latin Course books.
Learn a little LatinThe course uses the Minimus Latin book (a beginner’s book) is based on a family who lived at Vindolanda who received and sent some of the famous wooden writing tablets (wooden postcards). Some of these came back to Vindolanda in March 2011 from The British Museum. The writing tablets were voted Britain’s “Top Treasure” in 2003.
What Latin will I learn on the course?
- Writing Tablets and forms of writing;
- Latin words, grammar; the roots of English and Modern European Languages;
- food and dining, pottery;
- houses, roads, forts;
- Roman army and way of life, weapons, armour, off duty village life;
- clothes and jewellery;
- British tribes;
- death, inscriptions, prayers and religion;
- Greek myths;
- archaeology, the current excavation programmes at Vindolanda plus much more!