Things to do: Eat
Cumbria and the Lake District is well known for its amazing artisan food and local producers and Carlisle is no exception. We’ve listed places to experience great food and an equally great welcome. For an informal dining experience, see our blog on the food stalls in the Market Hall www.thetranquilotter.co.uk/market-hall-carlisle. We’d love your feedback.
Eat, Drink – Carlisle – top eateries for great food and atmosphere
We’ve compiled a list top eateries in Carlisle that have been popular with our guests and us.
- David’s Restaurant: Intimate and romantic, David’s is well known for celebrating a special occasion. davidsrestaurant.co.uk
- Alexandros Greek Restaurant & Deli: Authentic food, excellent service, reasonably priced. thegreek.co.uk
- Assembly Restaurant at Rickerby Retreat: beautiful setting and food to savour, fine dining, worth the price. learn more.
- Amato’s: in the heart of the Historic Quarter of Carlisle, Italian influenced with great customer service. amatos.co.uk
- Lounge on the Green: set in Houghton, relaxed fine dining does what it says on the tin. www.loungeonthegreen.co.uk
- Sannas: Italian restaurant, run by an Italian family. Modern Italian cuisine at its best with some delightful twists. sannas1.co.uk
- The Thin White Duke: Great atmosphere and delicious food in an informal setting. thinwhiteduke.info
- Bari: Carlisle is fortunate to have this wonderful Indian Restaurant in the City Centre. Every dish achieves that unique Indian/Bangladeshi balance of aromas, textures, and flavours. barirestaurant.co.uk
- Andalusian: Bar & bistro with quirky interiors and a warm welcome. theandalusianbarandbistro
- Foxes Café Lounge: Situated close to the Cathedral and Tullie House Museum, Foxes offers delicious food, smoothies, beer, wine and ‘Open Mike’ entertainment. It’s also the official home of the Carlisle Public Art Gallery. www.foxescafelounge.co.uk
Country Pubs near the Tranquil Otter
The Royal Oak, Moorhouse, CA5 6EZ, 01228 576475, 1 mile.
A friendly pub with a great atmosphere. Currently undergoing a major refurbishment and due to open in September.
Lynne and Steve Irving have kindly offered to give our guests a lift to and from the pub in the past.
The Greyhound, Burgh by Sands, CA5 6AN, 01228 576579, 1.5 miles.
From 27th July the Greyhound in Burgh by Sands will be providing food everyday from midday to 9pm. Take away food is available from Monday to Thursday and there is a delivery service from Friday to Sunday.
The bar and restaurant have wheelchair access as does the gents’ toilet. Dogs are allowed in the bar. Great atmosphere.
The Drover’s Rest, Monkhill, CA5 6DB, 01228 576141, 2 miles.
The pub is open every day. Food is being served on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays between 5pm and 8pm.
The bar and restaurant have wheelchair access, there is a step to the toilet, help is available. Dogs are allowed in the bar. Best to book ahead.
The Wellington, Great Orton, CA5 6LZ, 01228 710775, 2.5 miles.
The bar and restaurant have wheelchair access as does the gents toilet. Dogs are NOT allowed inside the Pub. Great village pub.
The Royal Oak, West Curthwaite, CA7 8BG, 01228 710219, 7 miles.
The Aikton Arms, Wigton, CA7 0JF, 016973 49299, 4.5 miles.
The Inn at the Bush, Kirkbride, CA7 5HT, 016973 98001, 5 miles.
The Blue Bell Inn, Dalston, CA5 7PJ, 01228 712061, 6.5 miles.
The bar has wheelchair access, the toilets do not. Dogs are allowed in the bar.
The Joiners Arms, Newton Arlosh, CA7 5ET, 016973 51470, 8.5 miles.
The Kings Arms, Bowness-on-Solway, CA7 5AF, 016973 51426, 9 miles.
The bar and restaurant have wheelchair access. Dogs are allowed in the bar.
The Wheatsheaf Inn, Wetheral, CA4 8HD, 01228 560686, 10.6 miles.
Wheyrigg Hall Hotel, Wigton, CA7 0DH, 016973 61242, 12 miles.
There is wheelchair access but dogs aren’t allowed inside.
The Queens, Warwick on Eden, CA4 8PA, 12.2 miles.
The Wallfoot Hotel & Restaurant, Crosby on Eden, CA6 4HQ, 01228 573696, 21 miles.
Fully wheelchair accessible. Dogs allowed in.
Stoneybeck Inn, Bowscar, CA11 8RP, 01768 862369, 24 miles.
Highland Drove Inn, Great Salkeld, CA11 9NA, 01768 898439, 27 miles.
George & Dragon, Clifton (near Penrith), CA10 2ER / 017688 56381 / 31 miles.
Some restaurants and takeaways in Carlisle
The Monkey Tree, Westmorlands Ln, Wigton CA7 9PA 01697 345898, 10 miles.
Bari, West Tower Street, CA3 8QT, 01228 522970, 5 miles.
The Viceroy, Rigg Street, CA2 5TN, 01228 598400, 5 miles.
The Mango Tree, Cardewlees (A595), CA5 6LG, 01228 710333, 5 miles. They will deliver to The Tranquil Otter.
Golden City, next to Vandella’s shop, CA2 7EQ, 01228 597 860, 4 miles. Takeaway only.
Yummies, Warwick Road, CA1 1DH, 01228 598800, 6 miles. Takeaway only.
Amato’s , Abbey Street, CA3 8TX, 01228 658021, 5 miles.
Gianni’s Pizzeria, Cecil Street, CA1 1NL, 01228 521093, 6 miles.
Casa Romana, Warwick Road, CA1 1DN, 01228 591969, 6 miles.
Sotto, Warwick Road, CA1 1EE / 01228 539113 / 6 miles.
Michaelangelo’s, English Damside, CA3 8AU, 01228 525117, 6 miles.
Gallo Rosso, Kingstown, CA6 4BY, 01228 526037, 8 miles.
Alexandros Greek Restaurant, Warwick Road, CA1 1DR, 01228 592227, 6 miles.
Bartons Yard at the Halstons, Warwick Road, 01228 210240, 6 miles.
David’s, Warwick Road, CA1 1DR, 01228 523575, 6 miles.
Foxes Cafe, Abbey Street, CA3 8TX, 07541 829348, 5 miles.
No. 34, 34 Fisher Street, CA3 8RH, 01228 818583, 5 miles.
Andalusian, Warwick Road, CA1 1DR, 01228 539665, 6 miles.
Foxborough, Barbecue Restaurant, Cecil Street, CA1 1NT / 01228 317925 / 6 miles.
The Conservatory Restaurant, Wetheral, CA4 8ES, 01228 561888, 21 miles.
The Royal Oak Inn, Moorhouse
The Royal Oak, West Curthwaite
Alexandros Greek Restaurant & Deli
Visit the deli at lunch time or the restaurant during the evening.
Try the Greek yoghurt as a light lunch snack.
Cranstons at Orton Grange
Mulholland’s Butchers, Great Orton