Cumbria and the Lake District is well known for its amazing artisan food and local producers and Carlisle is no exception. We’ve listed places to experience great food and equally great welcome. We’d love your feedback.
Eat, Drink – Carlisle – top eateries for great food and atmosphere
We’ve compiled a list top eateries in Carlisle that have been popular with our guests.
- The Thin White Duke: Great atmosphere and delicious food in an informal setting. thinwhiteduke.info
- Alexandros Greek Restaurant & Deli: Authentic food, excellent service, reasonably priced. thegreek.co.uk
- The Plough Inn, Wreay: Fresh local food, amazing Sunday roasts and excellent service: theploughwreay.co.uk
- David’s Restaurant: Intimate and romantic, David’s is well known for celebrating a special occasion. davidsrestaurant.co.uk
- Whytes Café Bar: A popular spot for lunch or a pit-stop to rest with coffee if you’re taking in the sights or shopping. Whytes Cafe Bar’s Facebook Page.
- Sannas: A real Italian restaurant, run by a real Italian family. Modern Italian cuisine at its best with some delightful twists. sannas1.co.uk
- Bartons Yard at The Halston: Relaxed and vibrant, this elegant Café Bar offers light bites, good coffee and fabulous afternoon teas. thehalston.com/bartons-yard/
- Bari: Carlisle is fortunate to have this wonderful Indian Restaurant in the City Centre. Every dish achieves that unique Indian/Bangladeshi balance of aromas, textures, and flavours. barirestaurant.co.uk
- Foxes Café Lounge: Situated close to the Cathedral and Tullie House Museum, Foxes offers delicious food, smoothies, beer, wine and ‘Open Mike’ entertainment. It’s also the official home of the Carlisle Public Art Gallery. www.foxescafelounge.co.uk
- Pompeii Steak House: Outstanding steaks, sourced from local farms, served on a hot stone. It’s friendly and welcoming and offers a wonderful casual dining experience. thepompeiisteakhouse.co.uk
Country Pubs near the Tranquil Otter
The Royal Oak, Moorhouse, CA5 6EZ, 01228 576475, 1 mile.
The bar and restaurant have wheelchair access as does the toilet. Food is being served on Sunday only from 12 pm to 3 pm. Please wear high Vis if planning to walk to the pub at night.
The Greyhound, Burgh by Sands, CA5 6AN, 01228 576579, 1.5 miles.
The bar and restaurant have wheelchair access as does the gents toilet. Dogs are allowed in the bar. Great atmosphere.
The Drover’s Rest, Monkhill, CA5 6DB, 01228 576141, 2 miles.
The bar and restaurant have wheelchair access, there is a step to the toilet, help is available. Dogs are allowed in the bar. Best to book ahead.
The Wellington, Great Orton, CA5 6LZ, 01228 710775, 2.5 miles.
The bar and restaurant have wheelchair access as does the gents toilet. Dogs are NOT allowed inside the Pub. Great village pub.
The Royal Oak, West Curthwaite, CA7 8BG, 01228 710219, 7 miles.
The Aikton Arms, Wigton, CA7 0JF, 016973 49299, 4.5 miles.
The Highland Laddie, Glasson, CA7 5DZ, 016973 51839, 5 miles.
There is a step into the bar and the toilet but the landlady says wheelchairs have managed to get in with assistance. Dogs are allowed in the bar.
The Blue Bell Inn, Dalston, CA5 7PJ, 01228 712061, 6.5 miles.
The bar has wheelchair access, the toilets do not. Dogs are allowed in the bar.
The Joiners Arms, Newton Arlosh, CA7 5ET, 016973 51470, 8.5 miles.
The Kings Arms, Bowness-on-Solway, CA7 5AF, 016973 51426, 9 miles.
The bar and restaurant have wheelchair access. Dogs are allowed in the bar.
The Wheatsheaf Inn, Wetheral, CA4 8HD, 01228 560686, 10.6 miles.
Wheyrigg Hall Hotel, Wigton, CA7 0DH, 016973 61242, 12 miles.
There is wheelchair access but dogs aren’t allowed inside.
The Queens, Warwick on Eden, CA4 8PA, 12.2 miles.
The Golden Fleece, Ruleholme, CA6 4NF, 01228 573686, 12.5 miles. Best to book ahead.
The Wallfoot Hotel & Restaurant, Crosby on Eden, CA6 4HQ, 01228 573696, 21 miles.
Fully wheelchair accessible. Dogs allowed in.
Walton’s Bar, at the Crown Hotel in Wetheral, CA4 8ES, 01228 561888, 21 miles. Dogs allowed in the bar. Recommended
Tithe Barn, Cockermouth, CA13 9QW, 01900 822179, 24 miles.
Stoneybeck Inn, Bowscar, CA11 8RP, 01768 862369, 24 miles.
Highland Drove Inn, Great Salkeld, CA11 9NA, 01768 898439, 27 miles.
George & Dragon, Clifton (near Penrith), CA10 2ER / 017688 56381 / 31 miles.
Kirkstile Inn & Hotel, Loweswater, CA13 0RU, 01900 85219, 32 miles.
The bar and restaurant have wheelchair access. Dogs not allowed in between 6pm and 10pm.
Some restaurants and takeaways in Carlisle
The Monkey Tree, Westmorlands Ln, Wigton CA7 9PA 01697 345898, 10 miles.
Indigo, Denton Street, CA7 5EN, 01228 527555, 6 miles.
The Viceroy, Rigg Street, CA2 5TN, 01228 598400, 5 miles.
The Mango Tree, Cardewlees (A595), CA5 6LG, 01228 710333, 5 miles. They will deliver to The Tranquil Otter.
Bamboo Gardens, Newtown Road, CA2 7LN, 01228 598885, 4 miles. Takeaway only.
Golden City, next to Vandella’s shop, CA2 7EQ, 01228 597 860, 4 miles. Takeaway only.
Yummies, Warwick Road, CA1 1DH, 01228 598800, 6 miles. Takeaway only.
Ristorante La Pergola, Castle Street, CA3 8TP, 01228 534084, 5 miles.
Gianni’s Pizzeria, Cecil Street, CA1 1NL, 01228 521093, 6 miles.
Casa Romana, Warwick Road, CA1 1DN, 01228 591969, 6 miles.
Sotto, Warwick Road, CA1 1EE / 01228 539113 / 6 miles.
Michaelangelo’s, English Damside, CA3 8AU, 01228 525117, 6 miles.
Gallo Rosso, Kingstown, CA6 4BY, 01228 526037, 8 miles.
Alexandros Greek Restaurant, Warwick Road, CA1 1DR, 01228 592227, 6 miles.
Bartons Yard at the Halstons, Warwick Road, 01228 210240, 6 miles.
David’s, Warwick Road, CA1 1DR, 01228 523575, 6 miles.
Foxes Cafe, Abbey Street, CA3 8TX, 07541 829348, 5 miles.
No. 34, 34 Fisher Street, CA3 8RH, 01228 818583, 5 miles.
Number 10, Eden Mount, CA3 9LY, 01228 524183, 6 miles.
Pompei Steak House, Abbey Street, CA3 8TX, 01228 402440, 5 miles.
Prezzo, Warwick Road, CA1 1DR, 01228 534755, 6 miles.
Foxborough, Barbecue Restaurant, Cecil Street, CA1 1NT / 01228 317925 / 6 miles.
The Conservatory Restaurant, Wetheral, CA4 8ES, 01228 561888, 21 miles.